THE Cheltenham Festival is one of the highlights of the jump season.
The thrilling four days include numerous races, including the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Held at the Cheltenham Racecourse at Prestbury Park in Gloucester, it attracts attention from spectators and punters in the UK, Ireland, and across the world. You can watch Cheltenham on ITV Races where you can follow who wins each race.
The events offer several betting opportunities for visitors to Irish betting sites. With that in mind, we’ve put together a handy guide to getting the best odds and bonuses for the event. We’ll explore the top sites for Cheltenham wagers, races, odds, and bet types. Plus, we’ll explore the bonuses for horse racing betting and how to claim them.
Best Irish horse racing betting sites
If you’re looking for a place to bet on horse racing and the Cheltenham Festival, check out these top 10 Irish sites,
When is Cheltenham?
The 2023 festival will begin on Tuesday 14th March and conclude on St. Patrick’s Day, Friday 17th March. Each day has seven races on its card, starting at 1.30 pm and the last feature race runs at 5.30 pm.
There are several Championship races across the four days, including the Champion Hurdle on 14th March. The Queen Mother Champion Chase takes place on the second day, and Ryanair Chase and Stayer’s Hurdle on the third day. On Friday 17th, you can watch and wager on the Mares’ Chase and the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
How popular is betting on Cheltenham in Ireland?
Cheltenham is hugely popular in Ireland, as is betting on the event. In fact, in 2022, 55,00 Irish racing fans went to Cheltenham for the festival. It’s an important event in social and racing calendars. There are several reasons that Irish punters are drawn to it and will enjoy a flutter on the upcoming 28 races.
The fact that the festival is held in the third week of March, which coincides with St. Patrick’s day, undoubtedly has something to do with it. People are already in the mood for celebrating and flying the Irish flag.
There’s an even stronger connection to the festival, though. Many of the owners, jockeys, and horses are Irish. In recent years, Tony McCoy, Ruby Walsh, and other Irish jockeys have claimed the top honors in many of the races. Plus, legendary Irish horses, such as Istabraq and Arkle, have dominated at Cheltenham.
Many saw the event as an unofficial rivalry between England and Ireland. That became official with the addition of the Prestbury Cup, which is awarded to the nation with the most winners at the festival. The added element of competition and good-natured banter adds to the atmosphere and puts national pride at stake.
€50 bonus welcome offer
18+. You will be awarded a 50% bonus on your first deposit on Sport up to €50. Players must play through their deposit and bonus eight times (8x) on trebles and upwards (3 – selection or more Combo bets) with odds of at least 1.60 per selection. Multiple bets placed on the same event will not count toward the rollover. Full T&Cs apply.
What are the biggest Cheltenham races to bet on?
There are 28 races taking place over the four days. As well as betting on the outcomes of those races, you can pick between Ireland and Great Britain for who will win the Prestbury Cup. We’ve listed the biggest races of the event below.
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Steeple Chase
- Novices’ Chase
- Champion Hurdle
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Stayer’s Hurdle
- Mares’ Chase
- Mares’ Hurdle
- National Hunt Chase
- Champion Bumper
How to bet on Cheltenham
If you aren’t trackside, you can get in on the action and find plenty of fantastic opportunities to bet online. Your first step is to choose one of our recommended Irish bookmakers and register for an account. If you prefer using your smartphone, most bookies have a mobile app you can use to register. After that, follow our step-by-step guide to Cheltenham Festival bets.
- Deposit – adding funds to your account is crucial to be able to wager. Choose a method and amount that suits you.
- Claim your bonus – when depositing, keep in mind that there might be an offer to claim to welcome new punters or specifically for Cheltenham wagers, so opt-in or enter the bonus code and make sure your deposit is eligible for bonus bets.
- Visit the Cheltenham betting page – bookies know that Irish punters will be looking for competitive horse racing odds. There’ll be a page dedicated to the Cheltenham Festival with races and dates listed.
- Select an event – if you’re betting well in advance, you’ll only see outright wagers. As the festival days arrive, you’ll see the full list of markets for each race.
- Check the odds and bet types – to decide which bet to place, you’ll want to find a market with exciting options and competitive odds.
- Add to your bet slip – click the odds to add it to your bet slip, enter your stake and confirm to place your bet. Remember to apply any promotions to the wagers when prompted in your bet slip.
100% up to €100 first deposit bonus for betting
18 + | This offer is only available to new players who made their first deposit and selected this offer as a welcome bonus. €/$10 minimum first deposit. Place one or more qualifying bets with a total stake of five (5) times your initial qualifying deposit on sports betting markets with odds of at least 1.5 on single bets or multi bets with cumulative odds of 1.7 and higher. Full T&Cs apply.
What are the best betting offers for Cheltenham?
We’ve listed and explained the best betting offers that Irish punters can find for Cheltenham Festival races to make a profit.
- Top-Price Guarantee – The most popular promotion offered by most online bookies is the price guarantee. Many offer the bonus for UK and Irish horse racing in general, and some specify Championship races. Either way, if one of the site’s listed competitors has a better standard price, your bookie will match or beat it.
- Non-Runner Money Back – Before the festival, you can find non-runner money back on ante-post bets for all of the Cheltenham races. If you place a win or either way bet and the selection doesn’t run, you’ll get your stake back.
- Price Boost – Look out for price boosts from several Irish betting sites. Many of them pick out particular races or horses and give you a better price for your first bet. The selection will usually be highlighted as boosted odds, or you can check out the promotion page for the day’s races with a price boost.
- Free Bets – If you register for an account or wager a certain amount on horse racing, you could claim Cheltenham Festival free bets. Check the minimum odds and other terms, then tick the option in your bet slip to use it for Cheltenham bets without risking your own cash.
Where can I get the best betting offers for Cheltenham?
For the best betting offers, we recommend our top sportsbook picks 10bet and 888sport. Both provide excellent horse racing coverage. As we get closer to the event, you can keep an eye out for more Cheltenham promotions.
50% up to €50 welcome bonus
18+ | The minimum qualifying deposit for this promotion is €15. Deposits via Skrill, Euteller or Neteller shall not be a qualifying deposit. To qualify, you must register your 10bet account exclusively and directly from the affiliate site(s) carrying a promotion of the offer. Qualifying deposit and bonus must be wagered five (5) times on: (1) settled single sports bets with odds of at least 4/5 (1.80); or (2) settled combo bets with odds of at least 2/5 (1.40) per selection before you can withdraw your bonus and any winnings resulting from it. T&C apply.
Our other picks, Luckster and kwiff, also have fantastic promotions. They include price boosts and free bets that can be used in horse racing. They also have NRNB (non-runner no bet) wagers, meaning you’ll get your stake back if your selection doesn’t run.
Bet €10 Get €10
8+ | New customers only and is available once per household. Max. FreeBet amount: €10 Minimum Deposit and wagering on sport to activate the Free Bet is: €10 Void/cancelled or cashed out bets do not count towards wagering to activate the free bet. Offer valid only to customers making a first deposit of €10 or more. The “Welcome Free Bet” may not be used in conjunction with any other bonus, promotion or offer. Full T&Cs apply.
Kwiff Cheltenham Offer
First Past the Post
The Kwiff betting team pays first past the post on all horse racing win and each-way bets. That means if a result is changed or altered, it won’t affect your bet, which will be settled on a first past-the-post rule. T&Cs apply. 18+ only. Please Gamble Responsibly.
How to claim Cheltenham betting offers?
How you claim an offer depends on the bookmaker’s process and what the promotion entails. For NRNB, your stake should be refunded automatically. The same is true for the price guarantee, as the bookie needs to run the check and adjust the payout. If you have any issues, reach out to customer support.
Price boosts require you to select specific odds for your first bet on that selection. It should be applied to your bet slip automatically. The promotion that requires a little more attention is the free bet bonus. You might need to register and deposit or wager a set amount to qualify.
How to choose a Cheltenham betting site
Bonuses are just one of the aspects that might help you choose a Cheltenham betting site. There are many other considerations that will affect your experience at a bookmaker’s website. We’ve listed the top criteria for Irish punters to find a place to wager online with the best sportsbooks promotions.
- Legitimate operator – check that it’s a licensed bookie with the appropriate security measures in place.
- Horse racing coverage – ideally, you’ll want a huge choice of markets for each race, including single and multiple bets. Look out for sites that offer live streaming and commentary too. Look out for sites that offer live streaming and commentary too. There are plenty of customer offers on the horse racing market that can make everything more enjoyable and help you turn a profit.
- Competitive odds – the odds should look good or a price guarantee should be in place.
- Convenient payments – the methods should suit you, the bookie should accept euros and you’ll want the withdrawals to be fast. When choosing a bookmaker, it is also important to consider payment restrictions and bonus eligibility restrictions before you place your racing bet.
- Efficient and friendly customer support – you’re there to have a good time. If you need to ask a question or get help, you’ll want someone on hand to help you sort it.
Best Cheltenham betting offers
The Cheltenham Festival is a highly anticipated event for horse racing enthusiasts, including Irish punters. To attract more bettors, many online bookmakers have interesting bet offers, deals, and bonuses during the festival. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the best Cheltenham offers available to Irish punters, helping you to make informed decisions and increase your chances of success during the festival.
Bookmakers collaborate with horse racing experts and brand ambassadors during Cheltenham Festival to provide insider tips and attract more bettors. By offering free bets and promotional offers, bookmakers aim to increase the engagement and loyalty of customers. This strategy benefits both bookmakers and punters, providing an opportunity for potentially big winnings and keeping the festival’s excitement alive.
What are the most popular bets to place at Cheltenham?
Cheltenham Festival gives Irish punters access to the top jump season races. Part of that is accessing some popular horse racing events. The top four for the different Cheltenham races are set out below.
- Win – The simplest bet and one of the most popular ones, you predict which horse will be first across the line to win the race.
- Each way – This bet combines two wagers; one to predict that a horse will win, the other to say that it will place (the sportsbook will specify whether that’s top three or top five). Next to the odds, you’ll see some more numbers, such as 1/5, and 3 places, which means if your horse places in the top three, your payout will be 1/5 of the odds.
- Placepot – A placepot covers several selections in the first six races at a meeting. You’ll need to pick a horse for each race. Typically, they’re each-way bets.
- Lucky 15 – As the name suggests, this wager includes 15 bets. They’re spread across four selections. You’ll usually have four singles, six doubles, four trebles, and a four-fold accumulator. You can usually find win bonuses for these types of bets, where you get a percentage boost or a consolation payout. Of course, bear in mind that most of these bonuses have time limits on when you can claim the offers.
What payment methods are available at bookmakers covering Cheltenham?
When it comes to making deposits at bookmakers covering the Cheltenham Festival, there are several payment methods available for punters. These can include bank transfers, e-wallets, and credit/debit card payments. One of the most popular options is PayPal, which provides a secure and convenient way to add funds to your account balance.
Before making deposits, it’s important to check for any specific payment method restrictions that may apply. Overall, bookmakers make it convenient for players with a variety of deposit methods available to suit the preferences of different punters during the Cheltenham Festival.
It’s also a good idea to check all the bookmaker bonuses to see whether there are any payment method exclusions that would prevent you from using your bet credits or bonus funds.
Which Irish horses can I bet on at Cheltenham?
If you’re looking for Irish horses to back, you’re spoilt for choice. There are hundreds to choose from, but we’ve helped you narrow the selection. Our top five include horses running in multiple races as well as some returning champions.
- Bet on Sir Gerhard at 10bet
- Bet on Kilcruit at 888sport
- Bet on Stattler at kwiff
- Bet on Love Envoi at Luckster
- Bet at Flooring Porter at NetBet
Bet on top five at kwiff
Bet up to €10 and get it back
New & existing customers. Minimum bet £/€0.10. Applies to all win and place bets in UK & Ireland. 18+ only. Account required. UK & Republic of Ireland only. Additional T&Cs apply. Please gamble responsibly. begambleaware.org
How lucky are the Irish at Cheltenham?
Ireland is the returning champion, having claimed the Prestbury Cup in 2022. The Irish were certainly lucky last year and they’ll want a repeat performance this year. In 2022, 18 out of the 28 winning horses were trained in Ireland. More than half were bred on the Emerald Isle and six of those were Grade 1 race winners at the festival.
All eyes will be on Mullins’ horses, as 2022 saw a new record with Willie Mullins training 10 winners. The results of his training are undisputable, and it will be interesting to see how they perform in 2023. Plenty of horses and jockeys will be wearing the Irish flag proudly again this March and many of them are favourites for the event.
Which is the best Cheltenham betting site?
We’ve chosen 888sport as the best Cheltenham betting site. It has superb coverage of the festival as well as several promotions specifically for those four days of racing. The bookie claimed the number one spot thanks to its long reputation in the industry. It’s a trustworthy site that knows how to keep the punters happy, especially when it comes to horse racing.
Other advantages include its live racing coverage. Deposits and withdrawals are convenient and fast, too. In addition to placing your Cheltenham bet, you can also enjoy a standard sportsbook bonus for new players. 888 also has a casino section of the site for those who want casino bonuses for popular table games.
€30 in free bets + €10 casino bonus
18+ | Min deposit €10. A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least €10. Min odds 1/2 (1.50). Free Bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days. Free Bet stakes not included in returns. Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days and expires after 14 days. To withdraw any winnings from the Casino Bonus, wager the Bonus amount 40 times within 14 days. Withdrawal restrictions, payment methods, country. Full T&Cs apply.
Which bookies offer streaming for Cheltenham?
Many of the bookies in our list offer streaming for Irish punters wanting to watch and wager on the Cheltenham Festival. After our review of each bookmaker, our favourite options for live streaming and horse racing-related content are Betsafe and 888sport.
Each of these sites offers quality HD streams of the day’s races xcellent sportsbook markets to choose from. It’s one of the most thrilling ways to enjoy the Cheltenham Gold Cup if you’re not trackside.
Welcome bonus 100% up to €25 bonus + €10 free bet
You must be 18 years of age, or of applicable legal age in the jurisdiction you reside in (whichever the greater), to take part in this promotion. The sports welcome offer will expire after 30 days from registration. The sports welcome offer only applies to new players of Betsafe. The sports welcome offer, you will only be able to use this on Betsafe sports. All Sportsbook bets (including all horse racing bets) will be counted to fulfill wagering requirements, as long as the odds are 1.50 or greater. Full T&Cs apply.
What is the minimum bet for Cheltenham?
In the past, bookmakers have estimated that around €450 million was bet at Cheltenham and around €22 million has come from Irish punters. Those figures have gone up in recent years. In 2021, one bookie was set to have received €275 million in bets for the festival. Punters can bet as little as €1 or €2 on a Tote, but it all adds up!
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry, or depressed
- Problem gambling – problemgambling.ie
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org
Help with gambling addiction
If you have a problem with gambling, or you know someone who does, help is out there. Extern Problem Gambling is the leading provider of information, treatment, advice, and support for anyone affected by gambling harms across Ireland.